For 2023, James will be back racing in the Clubmans Sports Prototype Championship, running the works CSP1 Phantom PR22 with Alex Champkin and his team at VMEP. These cars are super quick, with lap times not far short of those achieved by GB4 and GT3 cars. This year’s Phantom looks super smart and an exciting year is in prospect.
James will also be fitting in a few Formula Ford races as time and finances allow.
James now owns his own Formula Ford car, a Van Diemen RF90. The car was purchased in 2020 and has taken 2 years to be rebuilt and made its racing debut at the 2022 Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone in November 2022, winning the Janet Cesar Memorial Trophy race for pre-1999 cars at it’s first race meeting.
The RF90 had not raced for many years, so a full chassis rebuild was required, together with an engine build. Many thanks to Phil Wills Racing (PWR), Linton Stutely (Enigma Motorsport), Dave Morgan, Jerry Thurston and Jack Kemp (Yakspeed) for all their efforts and patience!
James’ ambition is to win the Walter Hayes Trophy outright, and would love to move on into sports prototype endurance racing if at all possible.
Born 30 April 2000, Maidstone, Kent
Occupation: Customer Services Executive, Motus Mercedes
School: 2011 – 2017 Farlingaye High School, Woodbridge, Suffolk
College: 2017 – 2020 – MSA Academy, Loughborough College
- 2022 Janet Cesar Memorial Trophy – Winner
- 2019 National Formula Ford – 4th overall with 9 podiums
- 2018 National Formula Ford – best result 2nd place Croft, qualified 6th for Walter Hayes Final
- 2017 Chamberlain Trophy – Clubmans Overall Champion
- 2017 Clubmans – CSP1 Champion
- 2017 HSCC Desmond Monson Trophy – Best Newcomer
- 2017 Historic Touring Cars – 2nd in Class Award
- 2016 Clubmans Sport 1600 – Best Newcomer, Driver of the Year
- 2016 Historic Touring Cars – Best Newcomer, 3rd in Class Award
- 2015 Junior Saloon Car Championship – 3rd, Top Rookie, 4 wins, 8 podiums
- 2014 Junior TKM Super 1, Junior TKM Shenington Winter Series – 3rd
- 2013 Junior TKM Interclub Championship – 2nd, Junior TKM Kimbolton Championship – 5th
- 2012 Junior TKM Interclub Championship – 9th
- 2011 Comer Cadet – Formula Kart Stars
- 2010 Comer Cadet Champion – Ellough Park, Comer Cadet Champion – Red Lodge